Chiayi County/Singang Township
Singang Township Map Marker    Singang’s name originates from Sinangang since the years of the Ch’ing Dynasty Emperor Jiaching’s rule. The 4 villages in Xingang were formed by Nangang Jhangjhou people when they moved to Mayuanliao. Currently its administrative district includes 23 villages, including the old Bengang Damaosibao and Niouchousibao (Sialiou Village) from the Ch’ing Dynasty.

    Prehistorically Xingang was where the aboriginals and Hongya Pingpu tribe lived. Spotted deer could be seen running around and fishermen and pirates from China and Japan sometimes stopped by to rest. Ancestors referred to this port as Bengang.     The approximate location of Bengang is between present day Xingang’s Shueiyue Temple and Beigang’s Bishuei Temple. In 1621 (1st year of Ming Dynasty Emperor Tianci’s rule), Yan Sihci led Cheng Jhihlong and entourage to Bengang and set up 10 stockades in Bengang. This brought in Jhangcyuan descendants to cultivate the land, gradually forming a town. Until Ching Dynasty Emperor Kangsi’s rule it was not only a trading port, but also the most flourishing coastal town in Taiwan, where merchants gathered.

    By mid 18th century it was referred to as Little Taiwan. In 1750 (15th year of Emperor Chienlung’s rule), the inundation of Bengangsi (now Beigangsi) divided Bengang Street into two: Bengang South Street (Benangang) and Bengang North Street (Benbeigang). In the 47th year of Emperor Chienlung’s rule, during the Jhang-Cyuan conflict, the Cyuan people attacked Benangang, startling and dispersing the Jhang people. The Nangang Streets suffered the most; there were many fires and looting.     Prominent merchants fled and the Lin Shuangwun incident four years later resulted in fires, killings, robberies and pillaging in seven villages, including Bantoucuo and Nangang Street. With the inundation of Bengangsi followed by a series of natural and man-made disasters, the Jhang people of Benangang migrated to Mayuanliao in the southwest. This was during the early years of Emperor Jiaching’s rule; they called the new place Sinangang. The original Nangang Street was now called Jiounangang. The port lost its function and later became a rural community due to flooding.

     Sinangang is the extension of the old Bengang; they sustained the history and culture as well as the political-, economical- and religious beliefs of the Bengang Street Jhang people. At the end of the Ching Dynasty the name was considered too long and thus changed to Xingang. During the Japanese ruling period (Taish? 9) administrative districts were revised, firstly because Xingang is used in several places in Taiwan, and secondly because Xingang is far from the river port. Xingang was renamed Sinsiang until 1945, when it was changed back to Xingang in the post-war phase.

     In the past 300 years many things have changed. The Xingang residents have worked extremely hard, they experienced cultivation, migration and regeneration. The ancestors have left much historical evidence and cultural excavations as proof of their cultivation, allowing the people of our time to trace back to our origins and remember where we came from.

Singang TownshipTown office
Address: No. 155, Zhongshan Rd, Singang Township, Chiayi County 61642 | TEL: 886-5-3742104